“City of Wilmore Offers Patriotic and Family Friendly Events during Summer Spectacular Weekend June 14-15”
The City of Wilmore is already known for its small town charm and patriotic, family-friendly events, and the “Summer Spectacular” weekend in Wilmore on Friday, June 14 through Saturday, June 15 is no exception.
The Summer Spectacular weekend is designed to kick off a summer calendar filled with more exciting, fun and often free events than ever before, according to city organizers. The schedule includes Wilmore’s first 2019 Summer Concert Series Weekend with candlelight vigils after both concerts, a visit from the Traveling Kentucky Vietnam Wall, and a special Flag Day Ceremony. Admission to the events is free. Summer Spectacular event details include:
Friday, June 14
- The Patriot Guard and Rolling Thunder, nonprofit organizations that honor prisoners of war and service members missing in action, often with motorcycle escorts/honor guards at military burials, and the Wilmore Police Department will escort the Traveling Kentucky Vietnam Wall from Southland Christian Church to the Wilmore Downtown Green. At approximately 2 PM, they will detour through Thompson Hood Veterans Center and Wesley Village Continuing Care Retirement Community in Wilmore, then travel on to Wilmore’s Downtown Green.
- The Traveling Kentucky Vietnam Wall will be open for viewing at Wilmore’s Downtown Green starting at 4 PM.
- Wilmore’s Flag Day Ceremony at 6:45 PM will include the presentation of colors and the dedication of a new flag pole at the Downtown Green with the raising of the American Flag and POW/MIA flag.
- The season’s first Gospel on the Green Concert on the Downtown Green will feature contemporary gospel artists Proverbs 31; a special candlelight vigil immediately after the concert will honor our nation’s veterans.
Saturday, June 15
- The Traveling Kentucky Vietnam Wall will continue to be on display throughout the day.
- The season’s first Stonebridge Concert on the Downtown Green will feature the Five Below Band, a locally renowned southern and classical rock band; a special candlelight vigil immediately after the concert will honor our nation’s veterans.
Both the Gospel on the Green and the Stonebridge Concert Series are held at Wilmore’s Downtown Green, 101 Rice Street. Food vendors will be on site at the Downtown Green and on East Main Street during both concerts. Tables and chairs are provided during the concerts; if desired, attendees may bring blankets and/or chairs. Picnics on the Downtown Green are permitted. Dogs are also permitted, but must be on leash.
For more details and the full Gospel on the Green and Stonebridge Concert Series summer schedule, as well as details for additional City of Wilmore events, visit www.wilmore.org, like “City of Wilmore” on Facebook, or call 859-858-4411.